Unemployment is enforced idleness of wage earner who is able and willing to work but
cannot find jobs. Un-employment is major economic and social problem of our country.
It is rural as well as urban. It is very serious and alarming and it has given birth to many
evils. In Pakistan 50 percent of our population is composed of women who are treated as
out of the work force.
Unemployment in Pakistan is increasing due to various causes, as discussed below:
Major Causes of Unemployment:
1. The higher growth rate of population is the major cause of unemployment
in Pakistan. The resources of the country are limited because population has
exceeded the optimum level.
2. Karachi is the biggest industrial base of Pakistan, but investors are reluctant to
invest there because of unrest and violence.
3. Our educational system is also responsible for increasing unemployment rate
among the educated youth. The attitude of our youth towards the choice of
a career is unrealistic and unproductive. Rapid mechanization and computer
technology also causing unemployment.
4. Lack of infrastructure and facilities in the field of energy, telecommunication and
transportation also prevent the industrialist from setting up new industries.
5. Lack of enough industries to employ ever increasing number of graduate in
6. The government is not involving in capital expenditures which create more jobs.
7. Opportunities are not enough and system of reference is so much indulged in our
society that if a company needs employees then workers of that company will
provide some resume to them of their relatives and friends so in this way many
people don’t get the opportunity to apply for those jobs.
1. Economic Revival package should announce by the government for the revival of
industries sector, to stimulate production and investment.
2. Government should try to boost exports through broadening the tax base and
3. Government should announce multiple packages for the development of
4. A number of fiscal and monetary measures should take attract industrialists and
particularly foreign investment.
5. Technical training facilities should be provided. In this way unemployed people
will get a chance to enhance their skills and become able to earn more reason able